Houston Temple

Houston Temple
Holiness to the Lord

Monday, December 2, 2013

General Epistle the Eighteenth

Aloha, all!
 
It is a beautiful 68 degrees right now with sun. Just felt like boasting.
 
This week was eventful. Monday we got to watch "Ephraim's Rescue" at the stake center. If you haven't seen it, I encourage you to do so. It was wonderful and really made me thing about the gift of healing. That was good, since I had my kidney biopsy the next day.
 
We arrived at St. Luke's at about 9 on Tuesday. Our Elder's Quorum President took us. As I was doing registration, a man walked up and introduced himself as a member. His name was Dave. After registration, we talked with him and I asked him to help administer to me. I was really nervous for the biopsy for some reason. He anointed and Elder Barney sealed.
 
They took me upstairs to a semi-private room and stuck an IV in me, putting me on a saline solution. It was about 11 when they took me downstairs on the bed to do the procedure. They did an ultrasound, then gave me some woozy drugs. They stuck me with some anesthesia, but it wasn't fully in effect when they took the actual sample. So, I heard the click and felt the sting. No fun.
 
I fell asleep after they took me back upstairs. Elder Barney pretty much did nothing the whole day but sit there. The nurses kept coming in and taking blood to measure my hemoglobin and iron and potassium levels. They told me we'd be staying the night because my pee was the color of fruit punch and my levels were off. I ate some dinner, then they sent us to a private room. Elder Barney had a hide-a-bed to sleep on.
 
I couldn't sleep. I was having pains in my side where they stuck me. The nurse gave me a narcotic, and it took about an hour to kick in. Finally, I dozed off for about an hour. I woke up, and the pain was back. I fitfully dozed for another two hours before they could give me another narcotic. It took a half hour to work. I slept for another while, and again woke up in pain. Finally, I asked the nurse if I could get up and walk around. He said yes, so I went to the bathroom. I vomited all the water I had been drinking since the procedure, as well as the dinner. However, the sever pain immediately went away. Not long after, I had to pee, and when I did, it was back to it's normal color. I laid down and was able to sleep at last.
 
It was about 8 when I woke up. The nurse came in and said the doctor would be coming in to talk soon. She also said I would probably be staying another night. I kept praying that it wouldn't be so. They kept taking blood every few hours, but the doctor didn't come. Finally, we called Sister Pingree. She sent President down to talk to us and see if he could release me. It was about 4 when he arrived, and by then I was fine except for the normal soreness on my side. The doctor finally came in at about 5 and spoke with me. Nothing was really new. I figured I had declined in function, which she told me I had. She talked about medications, and decided to put me on Prednisone, again. It was another hour before we got out of there and home. I felt bad for President because he had something with his daughter to get to, and he was late.
 
Then there was Thanksgiving. We ended up going to a nonmember's home in Katy with 4 other missionaries. They all watched football and I just sat around. We did play some board games. The food was pretty good. It was okay, but I would much rather have stayed in our area and gotten to know our members more.
 
There were things that happened on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The most notable was that my grandma peacefully passed away yesterday.
 
In the end, I felt this week was a wasted week. We got a few lessons with members, but there really was no real work done. I'm looking forward to getting back to work this week.
 
There has been a lot going on. Among companionship drama, the biopsy, my grandma's passing, the lack of work, and other things, I have felt very stressed out this week. Last night I finally just prayed and told Him that I didn't know what to do anymore. I asked for help and revelation. None came then, but I'm looking forward to this week with hope and confidence.
 
What has been on my mind is the story of the people of Alma. They had burdens upon them, greater than they could bear. However, the Lord did not immediately remove those burdens. Rather, he lightened them, making the people strong enough to bear those burdens. Eventually, He did provide relief, but it was in His time.
 
We all go through hard times. When Frodo said "I wish this had never happened to me," Gandalf replied thus:
"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
 
So it is. We wish trials didn't come, but all we have to decide is what to do to keep going. Just as I said last week, we must push onward and upward to a better world.
 
I love you all and miss you. Thank you for your prayers and support.
 
I share this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Elder Murdock
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment