Houston Temple

Houston Temple
Holiness to the Lord

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

General Epistle the First

Aug 5, 2013
 
Hi everybody!
Life out here in Houston is just what you would think: hot and humid. I've never liked being sticky, and out here I'm sticky every time I step outside. It's not as bad I thought it would be, though. In fact, this summer has been pretty dry thus far. Maybe we'll get a hurricane this season to shake things up and get some moisture.
What do missionaries generally write about in these things? I guess I could talk about the experiences I'm having.
It seems like there are miracles every day, though most of them are small. It might be like the one today, when we met a member who has not been to church since 1991. He saw us as we came out of the medical towers and we talked to him for a moment. We got his address and will send the missionaries to go rescue him.
Another miracle that happened recently was that a long-time investigator who does not like to impose on people actually asked us to help him with his garage. It was good to know that we've gained his trust and that he is slowly progressing. He is basically a dry Mormon, so we hope to baptize him soon.
The Lord uses various means to bring about him purposes. Sometimes it's small. Sometimes it's us giving a compliment, smiling at a person, or inviting someone to hang out. It may be a small gesture of kindness, but that's how miracles happen. There is no blinding flash of light and rolling thunder when all it takes is someone being nice.
The best thing we can do to build up the Lord's kingdom is to love. That could be loving God, others, or yourself. Just love and things will happen that will build your faith and the faith of your associates. Just love and miracles will happen.
I used to read books and play games about heroic people going out to save the world while the world was oblivious to their actions on their behalves. I don't feel like the hero, because the real Hero is Jesus Christ. I feel like one of the support characters or sidekicks, who is there and useful, but not the focus of the story. I'm just here to help move the kingdom along. Truly this companionship has and should have a third member: the Holy Ghost. Together, we are saving the world one person or family at a time. I may not even baptize anyone while I'm here, but I've been an instrument in helping others come closer to Christ and be more prepared for His coming. I'm being his sidekick, and that feels awesome.
This is the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is what can save the world from the darkness that covers it. This is the doctrine that we can be relieved of pain, guilt and shame through the blood of Christ, and therefore be found worthy to take a place with Him in eternity. We can be joint-heirs with Him.
We have the fullness of the gospel. Let's take it to all the world. Let's love like the Lord does. Let's be His sidekick and accomplish His purposes.
Have a wonderful summer, y'all.
Elder Murdock

No comments:

Post a Comment