Houston Temple

Houston Temple
Holiness to the Lord

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

General Epistle the Fifteenth

Greetings and salutations!

What a roller coaster this week! It began on Monday, when I went to the lab to do blood work and give a urine sample. This is just a routine thing so they can monitor my kidney function. I got a call the next day from the doctor's office. My creatinine was at 3.9. Normal levels are anywhere from 0.8 to about 1.5. They were freaking out a bit, but it has been that high in the past. When it has, I was just put on Prednisone again.

So they ordered more labs, which I went on Wednesday to do. Since they had taken 3 vials of blood on Monday, they only took one this time. I have been feeling a little weak since then, but I'm getting better. 

Thursday I received another call from the doctor's office. They wanted me to go in for an ultrasound on my kidneys. I still don't know why they ordered that, but we scheduled it for Monday at 1. I went to the O'Quinn Medical Towers in Downtown Houston, which is outside the mission, to have it done. They put the warm gel on my belly and I got to look over at the screen as they looked inside my organs. It was weird.

One perk about all this was that I got to call my dad and my mom for information and whatnot. That was cool. I also got a chance to call my family on Saturday. My grandmother is going to pass away soon, so I was given special permission to call and talk with her. I spent about 40 minutes communicating with my family and trying to get the video call to work. I can't wait until Christmas to talk with everyone over video call. 

So apart from all the health drama, there has also been missionary work drama. A man who is getting baptized this Saturday is not living currently in our area, but is being baptized into it. He will move down into Old Spring afterward, but still won't be in our area. We dealt with all that this week. 

As for myself, I'm doing a little better than last week. I have a tendency to focus so much on myself. I'm trying to reach out and help others and not judge them. I'm also trying to be more obedient. 

One highlight of my week was when I got to play the piano in primary. I miss doing that. It was fun to be in there with the kids and to play some of those songs again. I got to play a couple Christmas songs, too! 

There were some extra words I once wrote to a song in the Children's Songbook: Samuel Tells of Baby Jesus. They include telling about His life and ministry, as well as how He'll come again. 

After the 2nd verse, it goes like this:

So Jesus lived in Galilee and taught all that was good.
And showed us by the way He lived the right way that we should.

Hosanna! Hosanna! Oh, let us gladly sing. How blessed that our Lord did come;
Let Earth receive her King!

But by His people Jesus was sentenced to be crucified.
And on the cross, below all things, our Lord and Savior died.

Hosanna! Hosanna! Oh, let us gladly sing. How blessed that our Lord did die;
Let Earth receive her King!

Yet on the third day Jesus rose, the chains of death to broke,
ascending to the Father above to sit down on His throne.

Hosanna! Hosanna! Oh, let us gladly sing. How blessed that our Lord now lives;
Let Earth receive her King!

And soon in glory He will appear, with hosts of angels, too,
To rid the world of hate and strife, His enemies, subdue.

Hosanna! Hosanna! Oh, let us gladly sing. How blessed that our Lord will come;
Let Earth receive her King!

There is a difference between testimony and conversion. I know that we must all be converted to the gospel to really be able to stand at the last day with confidence before the Lord. We must use the enabling power of the Atonement to become, not only do, what the Lord would have us become. 

We have so much infinite potential as children of God. We can all do better, yes, but let us not forget how far we have come. This journey is not a lonely one when we have friends and family all on the same quest. We can help each other along by building each other up and supporting each other. You all have helped me along in so many countless ways. You have urged me to be better. Even with all the support, we each have to rely on the Savior to really make it.

Keep pushing forward; we are on a grand adventure to Eternal Life.

I share that in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Elder Murdock 

No comments:

Post a Comment