It has nearly been six months since I went into the MTC. Can you believe it? Time has flown by so far, and I'm sure December will go just as fast.
We had a baptism this week. Jeremy was baptized on Saturday and I got to confirm him the next day. It was awesome to see him take this step, but I have some worries about him and his progress. We'll keep trying to encourage him to help him understand and grow.
Transfer call were last night. I am staying here in the Legends Ward. Elder Barney is staying with me. I hope to really get the ball rolling this transfer, or at least push it really hard and make it budge. There is potential here, it's just a matter of finding the magnet that will draw out those interested in the gospel.
As missionaries, we help members and nonmembers alike to come closer to the Savior. Our work here in Legends has for a while been encouraging the members, but now we're trying to transition into focusing on investigators and seeking more opportunities to teach nonmembers. Our ward members, many of them, know how to do missionary work and have brought us people to teach. I hope that you all are trying to do the same. It doesn't require going outside of your comfort zone. It ought to be a natural part of your life. You live the gospel, and it shows through your actions. People take notice and when they ask, you have an answer because you have prepared by studying, praying, and going to church. It really should be a natural, conversational way of sharing your beliefs.
An example:
You: "You have a cute baby! How old is she?"
Stranger: "Oh, thank you! She's _____. She's a handful, but such a sweetie."
You: "Hi, cutie! Aren't children wonderful?"
Stranger: "Oh yes. . ."
A short conversation ensues about children. Toward the end:
You: "It's such a dangerous world for these kids to grow up in."
Stranger: "For sure. I worry sometimes for her."
You: "I do for mine, too. Our church has a great children's program to supplement what we teach them at home. If you'd like, I can give you the address and you could check it out sometime."
The stranger can then express interest or not. If so, awesome! If not, that's okay, too. You did what you could. Whether they take the address from you or not, you have created a positive experience with the church that could lead to other opportunities later.
Other things can lead into natural invitations to church or just to increase faith in others. We ought to open our eyes to those moments all around us. Complimenting others is a great way to start a conversation.
I think I've quoted this hymn before, but it keeps coming to mind.
"There are chances for work all around just now,
opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying sometime I'll try,
but go and do something today."
~Have I Done Any Good? Hymn 223
Truly we are all called to labor in the vineyard this last time before the Lord comes. Let us labor with our might, that we may lay up in store for ourselves. Members and missionaries, working together to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of God's children. Now is the time, now is the season. It is the time of thanksgiving for a bounteous harvest, but have we helped with the harvest? There are yet many more sheaves to gather. I hope we all will gather together and thank the Lord for the harvest we have received, but also pray that we may be blessed with more.
In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
Elder Murdock
No comments:
Post a Comment