Houston Temple

Houston Temple
Holiness to the Lord

Sunday, September 22, 2013

General Epistle the Fifth

 Sept 03, 2013
 
Hello everyone!

I got transferred! I'm in Spring, Texas in an area called Legends. The ward is small geographically, but has a large member base. I went to church and they had to open the curtains. We're pretty sure it's going to be split soon. 

Katy was great while it lasted. I don't miss driving so much because drivers here are crazy. We're walking now and my feet hurt, but I know I'll get used to it all. I'll likely have to get a bike sometime soon so we can bike to an appointment is necessary. 

For my first dinner we went to a recent convert's house. He cooked hot dogs and chicken on the grill. His wife, who has been a member for a long time, is pregnant. She has lost the children in the past, so hopefully this one will be born healthy and strong. It was great to be received so warmly. People really do love the missionaries. =)

Labor Day was fun. We went to a stake center near the mission office and played softball. A recent convert was there grilling for us. When it got too hot, we went inside and some people played basketball and volleyball. I walked around and talked with people, since I don't play basketball well and the volleyball court was already filled. There were lots of missionaries there. 

It's so great that, no matter where we go in the world, we can feel at home if we find the saints. I haven't felt very homesick at all, and some of that I attribute to the fact that the wards I've been in have been great. The church is the same everywhere. 

There was a baptism on Saturday for a young woman in this area. Her name is Gabby Cartgena. She had a friend in high school who converted. Then she decided to join, but couldn't until later because of her parents. She has expressed the feeling that joining the church is like going home. I think it's a wonderful reminder that we all need to be welcoming and accepting of people. If there's someone at church or at a church event that you don't know, approach and introduce yourself.

A guy in a car stopped us as we were walking on Sunday. He asked us if we had literature. We gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and a Restoration pamphlet. It was random, but great. It's amazing how some people will just do that kind of thing.

" There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known."

~Will L. Thompson.

   I love that hymn, especially lately. 
There are opportunities all around. We just need to open our mouths. I think I already mentioned that the Lord just wants us to try. It doesn't matter right now if they say 'yes'. It just matters that we tried. Please, prayerfully consider those who you could talk to about the gospel. Meet a neighbor you've not met and become their friend. Be involved in the work and with the missionaries in your area. Remember, they are away from home, too, just like me. They want to feel the love of their ward and the people they work with. They want to work.

We have a wonderful opportunity to share this gospel. The doctrine of Christ is that there is a Savior who was the Sacrifice and who is the Mediator for us. The gospel is nothing less than that doctrine. We all are trying to accomplish God's purpose of eternal life and immortality for us all. If that is our goal, then extending an invitation to a friend to come to church should be no problem. We will see them with the Lord's eyes and recognize their eternal potential. 

We are all called. We are all enlisted. This gospel is the truth that everyone seeks, and we have a duty, and ought to have a desire, to share it. If you have no desire, pray for such. We can do it through the grace of Jesus Christ. His Atonement is not just redeeming, but enabling. We can rely on it to have courage and strength enough to fulfill our covenants. That's my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Elder Murdock

No comments:

Post a Comment