Hi, everybody!
Thanks for the birthday wishes! I don't want to be older, but it's inevitable.
Last
P-day we went to a park and played board games. I got to play Settlers
of Catan, which was great. And my zone is full of fun people.
I'm
sort of at a loss as to how to find people to teach. I was counseled by
the mission president's wife to think outside the box. I've been trying
to do that, but it's easier said than done. If anyone who reads this
has any ideas for finding people to teach that could be applied to my
situation, that would be great. The situation is that we serve in a
relatively small area (3 miles from top to bottom) and there are plenty
of members. However, we can't knock on doors in some neighborhoods. I'm
new and don't know many of the members, yet I may be taking over the
area by next transfer, since Elder Ririe is likely to be transferred.
Please don't take any of that as complaining. It's not. I'm just trying to get ideas.
We
met with our one investigator this week. His wife was able to sit in
during the full lesson. We taught about the first principles and
ordinances of the Gospel. They took it in well enough. The wife asked a
question about why women can't have the priesthood. Luckily, we had
brought a sister with us who answered it perfectly. She gave the wife
enough without going too deep. She also invited her to pray about it.
Might I suggest that, if anyone is ever invited to go to a missionary
lesson, they be careful not to go too deep into doctrine. Last week we
had the misfortune of having a brother come with us to this same husband
and wife. When the topic of flesh and blood came up, he went into
deeper stuff than he probably ought to have. I know it's tempting to go
into deep explanations, but people really don't need that.
However,
the husband is still excited about the Gospel and the Book of Mormon.
They haven't come to church with us, yet. It seems like a matter of time
before he gets baptized. He is already doing missionary work; he has a
coworker who is feeling like there is no hope. He asked us for a copy of
the Restoration pamphlet in Vietnamese to give to this man.
This
week's attribute is Love and Charity. There is a verse from a hymn that
I read this morning, which I thought was perfect to memorize.
- 5. Charity and love are healing;These will give the clearest sight;When I saw my brother's failing,I was not exactly right.Now I'll take no further trouble;Jesus' love is all my theme;Little motes are but a bubbleWhen I think upon the beam.
It's
so easy to look at others and think "He isn't doing this thing right,
or that thing right." I'll admit that I do that way too often. Part of
charity is loving people as Christ loves them, which means that we are
able to look past their faults and their sins and simply extend love.
It's also being able to do that with ourselves.
Something else that's also easy it found in Alma.
44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the aword of
Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as
it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point
unto them a straight course to the promised land.
45 And now I say, is there not a atype in
this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers,
by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of
Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow
into a far better land of promise.
Heeding the scriptures
is easy, too. Just as the Liahona pointed the course to the promised
land, so the scriptures point us toward eternal life. We can read and
study them just easily as we can judge another harshly. It's what we
choose to do that matters.
I hope we can all forgive our neighbors and be more loving.
God bless, y'all!
Elder Murdock
No comments:
Post a Comment