Well, here are the notes from my talk given in Sacrament Meeting on Jan. 26th, 2014. This is my last post on this blog. I still miss the mission, but I know I'm home for a reason, and I am trying my best to adjust.
The Book of Mormon
in Conversion
I pray that the Holy
Ghost will be with us all as I speak today, and that He will testify
to you that what I say is true.
Let's start in the
introduction to the Book.
The
Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible.
It is a record of God’s dealings with ancient inhabitants of the
Americas and contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel.
We hear that phrase in often the church: “The fullness of the
Gospel,” or “the restoration of the Gospel” but do we
understand what that means?
In the Missionary
Training Center, I began to comprehend in part what the Gospel of
Jesus Christ really is. I began to gain a knowledge of it. However,
while in the field, I came to really understand and internalize the
Gospel of Jesus Christ through living it.
The Gospel is Faith in
Christ, Repentance, Baptism by full immersion for the remission of
sins, and the laying on of hands for the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Once
we have entered this path that leads each of us back to our Heavenly
Father, we must press forward and endure to the end of our lives.
This is the Doctrine of Christ, or the Gospel of Christ. If we pursue
this path until death, we shall receive Eternal Life, the greatest of
all the gifts of God. I invite you all to read and think about 2nd
Nephi chapter 31 to gain a better understanding of the Doctrine of
Christ.
It was these precious
truths of Faith, Repentance, Baptism, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost
that were lost or distorted after the original Apostles died. And so,
when the Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God
given to Joseph Smith, these truths were restored to the Earth. Now
men could understand and follow the path that leads back to
Heavenly Father. You see why the Book is so important! We needed
those truths to understand why we're alive and on the Earth, and
where we're going after this life. We needed to know how to return to
God through Jesus Christ, and the Book of Mormon reveals that path to
us.
In the introduction, the
Book reads
We
invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in
their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the
Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who
pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its
truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost.
My invitation to y'all is
the same. Will you read the Book of Mormon and ask God if it's true?
*Pause
I know it is true. I know
the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that is testifies of Jesus
Christ as our Savior. I know because the Holy Ghost has testified to
me that it is from God.
I want to relate to you
my experience coming to know that the Book of Mormon is really from
God, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ.
When I around 15, I was
in seminary and Sunday School and I kept hearing that I needed to
gain my own testimony of the church and of Joseph Smith. I knew I
could not rely on the testimonies of others; I had to know for myself
if I wanted to really continue in this church. Finally, one evening,
I set aside the time and decided to really study and read the account
of Joseph Smith when he saw God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.
I prayed as I read and studied, really wanting to know for myself if
he did. After I had read the words of verse 17, I said a prayer aloud
and asked if it really was true. My response I received came a little
unexpectedly as a thought to my mind that said “Of course it is!”
I sat back and reflected on that answer. I realized that I did know
it was true already. I felt the Holy Ghost in the room and my heart
felt like rejoicing at the answer I'd received. It was true! Joseph
saw God and Jess Christ!
I have since felt the
confirmations from the Holy Ghost that this is indeed the Lord's
church, that the Book of Mormon is scripture from God, and, most of
all, that Jesus Christ is my Redeemer and Savior. All these things
had fallen into place when I first got my answer about Joseph Smith.
If he really was a prophet, as the Spirit had confirmed to me, then
he really translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God in him.
The fullness of the gospel really was restored to the earth, along
with priesthood authority to administer the gospel. And this is the
Church of Jesus Christ, the only true and living church on earth,
with revelation to guide us in these last days before the second
coming of Jesus Christ.
So that is my story of
coming to know the veracity of Joseph as a prophet of God, as well as
the veracity of the Book of Mormon. They cannot be separated; the
Holy Ghost will witness of one as He does the other. He will witness
of Christ as he does of this great work of salvation.
In the field, I saw the
effect that studying the Book of Mormon had on people, myself
included. I saw it help a woman, who had not been to church for some
years, to come back to church as we read with her in her home each
week. It helped her face the challenges of unemployment and financial
hardships. It strengthened her faith as she watched her 6-year-old
nephew undergo cancer treatments and become weaker. The Book of
Mormon was the tool the Lord had us as missionaries use to help her
pay her tithing and get back to the temple. I got to be there when
she went back to the temple for an endowment session, and I will
always remember that event.
I restate my personal
invitation to you all: Will you read, ponder, and pray about the Book
of Mormon? The Holy Ghost will testify to you that it is from God,
just as He has to me. If you have questions, do what Joseph Smith did
and ask of God.
The following story is
from Elder Russell M. Nelson from the October 2010 general
conference.
“Many
years ago two colleagues of mine—a nurse and her doctor
husband—asked me why I lived the way I did. I answered, “Because
I know the Book of Mormon is true.” I let them borrow my copy of
the book, inviting them to read it. A week later they returned my
book with a polite “thanks a lot.”
I
responded, “What do you mean, thanks a lot? That’s a totally
inappropriate response for one who has read this book. You didn’t
read it, did you! Please take it back and read it; then I would like
my book back.”
Admitting
that they had only turned its pages, they accepted my invitation.
When they returned, they said tearfully, “We have read
the Book of Mormon.
We know it is true! We want to know more.” They learned more, and
it was my privilege to baptize both of them.”
I testify that the Book
of Mormon is the word of God. I testify that Joseph Smith was a
prophet of the Lord, and that he translated it through the gift and
power of God. I know the Book testifies of Jesus Christ as the
Redeemer of the world. I know Jesus Christ lives today, with a
resurrected body of flesh and bone. I know He will come again, and
that this is His church and His kingdom preparing for His coming.
No comments:
Post a Comment